Sunday, September 14, 2008

She calls them Crash Hot Potatoes, I call them simply divine!


"She Said"...

The She I am referring to is Ree a.k.a Pioneer Woman at thepioneerwoman.com. I found her blog while doing a search on other food blogs. I love trying new recipes and new food and this recipe caught my eye, just look at that picture! Like I said in the title, these potatoes are simply divine! Crunchy on the outside, super flavorful and bake potato like on the inside. I like to eat mine with sour cream and J likes to eat his with ketchup. For an added twist you could even melt cheddar cheese or my favorite, Colby Jack and break some bacon pieces on top and then add sour cream! Mmmm...loaded bake potato.

The first two times I made the potatoes I followed her directions to the tee but last night we wanted them with dinner and time was a factor so instead of boiling the new potatoes I used my handy dandy Pampered Chef microwave steam, put a little bit of water on the bottom, whole potatoes (small) and put the lid on and microwaved for 7 minutes. This cut the total cook time down. Now lets get to the complete recipe so you can enjoy these babies too!

INGREDIENTS:

New Potatoes (or other small, round potato)
Olive Oil
Kosher Salt
Black Pepper
Dill weed (optional)
Lawry's Seasoned Salt (optional)
Rosemary (or whatever herb you like)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil or if you have the Pampered Chef steamer, add water and new potatoes.

2. Add as many potatoes as you want to boiling water and cook them until they are fork tender.

3. Next generously drizzle olive oil on a sheet pan. Be generous otherwise your potatoes will stick to the pan.

4. Place fork tender potatoes on the sheet pan. Give them plenty of room to spread out.

5. Take your potato masher and gently press down on the potato until it slightly mashes. Then rotate the masher 90 degrees and finish flattening it. Don't smash it onto the pan, you want it to resemble a cookie.

6. Next, brush the tops rather generously with olive oil using a pastry brush or an oil sprayer filled with Olive Oil.

7. Next sprinkle with Kosher salt. Kosher salt adheres to the potatoes more easily than table salt and flavors them nicely without getting too salty.

8. Sprinkle with Lawry's Seasoned Salt (sprinkle lightly since you are also using Kosher salt), fresh ground pepper, Dill Weed and Rosemary.

9. Put it into a very hot(450 degree) oven and cook for 20-25 minutes or until they are golden and crispy and sizzling.

Mmmm....I hope you enjoy these as much as I do!!

1 comment:

Moore Family said...

Had these for dinner tonight! OMG DELICIOUS!! Thanks for sharing the recipe, we will be having them again.