Sunday, October 26, 2008

Thai Pizza?

"He Said"...

Okay this is a weird one and involves a bit of a story. Last night G and I got a babysitter (YEE HAW!) and went out to dinner and a movie alone! We went to this Thai place in Toledo called Tasty Thai. We both ordered this basil chicken dish and the waitress asked us how spicy we wanted it. The choices were none,mild, medium, hot, and Thai Hot. We started to order medium spice but the waitress led us to believe it was very mild. We both like spicy food so we upped it to hot. I'll save the rest of the review of that restaurant for another post but the food was HOT. I can't imagine what Thai Hot if hot was that hot! We are talking about nose running, lips burning, took an hour and 5 glasses of water to eat hot! G couldn't eat hers and had to order a new mild one.


We had to pay for the new one so we took the spicy one home and thought about what to do with it. Eating it was out of the question because nearly 24 hours later I was still suffering! So we thought about ways to tone down the spice factor. Somehow we ended up deciding to turn it into a pizza. (That's why I said it was weird!)

Turns out there are thousands of recipes for Thai Pizza. Whoda thunk?

All the recipes I saw had a peanut sauce and in one of my failed homemade Asian attempts I used a peanut sauce and it was gross so I didn't want to try it. G insisted and she's gotten pretty good at getting her way. (I'm not allowed to elaborate.)


I whisked the following together in a bowl until it was a creamy peanut butter texture but not quite as thick.
1/4 cup Jiffy creamy peanut butter

3 tablespoons water

2 teaspoons rice vinegar

2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce

1/2 - 1 teaspoon ground ginger (The recipe I based this on called for 2 tsp fresh)

1/2 - 1 tsp minced garlic (original recipe called for 1 fresh clove minced)

I had some frozen wheat pizza dough so I thawed that out and pre-cooked the crust, spread the peanut sauce on the crust, put the Basil Chicken leftovers on, followed by a little shredded mozzarella. I cooked the crust for 7-8 mins then put it back in until the cheese was melted (probably another 3-5 mins).

The pizza was awesome. The flavor was incredible. It was still too spicy for G but I could eat it without my lips burning. If we had leftovers of the mild it would have been fantastic and


definitely something we would make again. This is so far outside of the norm for me I can't believe I tried it let alone liked it! If your bored and don't know what to do with your leftover Asian food, give this pizza a try you won't be sorry!!!

Oh yea, the Basil Chicken had ground chicken, basil leaves, green beans, onions, and green and red peppers.

No comments: