Friday, September 26, 2008

Calzones!


"He Said"...

I've always loved calzones. Way back a long long time ago in a city far far away... Okay back to reality... In Greenville Ohio there was a little Italian restaurant near the plant that I worked at. I can't remember the name and I just tried Googling Italian Greenville Ohio and nothing came up near where I thought it was. Anyway the family that owned this place made awesome calzones. You could get anything you wanted in them and they were huge! The unofficial rule in the company that I worked for was that the person on travel always took the others in the group out to lunch and without fail this little Italian place was the destination of choice.

Anyhow... It's been years and years since I've had a calzone. Tonight lil G and I decided to make some. I searched on RecipeZaar for a calzone recipe just looking for a how to on how much I could get away with stuffing inside and how to properly seal the dough and a rough cooking time. I came across this recipe and the dough sounded really good so I followed this one to the letter except for choosing our own toppings. (I love broccoli on pizza and in calzones!) This turned out awesome! We made three small ones and they were really good. A tad over cooked at 35-40 minutes so watch that. The dough has an awesome taste and has now become the official household dough recipe! Give it a try it didn't take more than 30 minutes to get everything ready (not including rise time. Since we don't have a bread machine I used the stand mixer and let it rise for 30 mins. Could have gone 60 if I had time.) We also used G's homemade pizza sauce. I'll ask her to post that recipe too. Very good and very quick.

Awesome stuff!

2 comments:

ghs1982 said...

I remember a little pizza place real close to downtown call C & R Pizza, would that be the place? They had really awesome pizza.

J said...

I don't think it was a pizza place but I don't know for sure. I thought it was more of a mom and pop Italian restaurant. I've got a friend that worked at that factory with me I'll ask him and let you know.

J